Old 07-11-2018, 03:44 PM
Say Something Nice

Other Marvel Characters Thread #8

Previoius thread: Other Marvel Characters Thread #7
Old 07-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Say Something Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
I wish Jack Kirby had lasted a little longer.

So do I.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

When I first returned to comics a few years back, I disliked Kirby's art because it was so old-fashioned, but then I was reminded how many comics I was nostalgic about that Kirby had drawn and I grew to like his art. He was great in the Fantastic Four in the late '60s and his Black Panther comics (which he also wrote) are the only Black Panther comics I really like. And even on the Fantastic Four, where he was penciller, his involvement went far beyond just pencilling.

He's the reason Ben Grimm is Jewish. Kirby based Ben on himself, Jewish identity included. Ben was his alter ego. He had a picture on his wall in his home of Ben in Jewish religious garb. They weren't allowed to state the religions of characters back then, so he couldn't make it official and it stayed in the subtext, but I guessed it back in the '90s based on Ben's Handbook article from the '80s. Far as I'm concerned, Ben was Jewish back in the 20th century, long before they made it official in 2002. Even if some writers like Starlin didn't get the memo.

It's like how well into the 21st century some writers didn't get the memo about Magneto's Gypsy identity being cancelled out, even though a comic in 1998 showed it to be a cover identity. They'd only made him Gypsy in 1993 because they were afraid the Jewish identity Claremont had implied for him would look antisemitic because he was a villain in 1993. If you know Holocaust history, Magneto's actually confirmed Jewish back in the begining of the '90s, because Claremont shows him remembering being made to take on duties in Auschwitz that only Jewish prisoners were made to take on. But some dumbass writers kept banging on about him being Gypsy until the comics spelled out that he was Jewish a while back. This sort of thing gets very messy.

John McCain, 1936-2018, RIP, opponent of Trump, saved Obamacare
Old 07-12-2018, 03:30 PM
Say Something Nice

Jack Kirby was definitely proud of his Jewish ancestry and incorporated a lot of references to WWII and the Holocaust into his work. I didn't know Kirby based Ben Grimm on himself. That's cool. And of course, while I know you don't like him, Kirby co-created Captain America with Joe Simon because of what was happening in Europe at the time with Nazi Germany. He felt something needed to be said and no one in the USA was willing to say it, so he created Cap to fight the battle that the USA was reluctant to get into at the time.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Yeah, I know about Cap's creation, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a rather one-note character.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Say Something Nice

Yes, I know. Just mentioning that he was created for a good reason.

It also seems that with the passing of all these great comic book writers and artists that they are leaving comics to a generation of writers and artists who don't live up to the standard they set.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Yeah, the new generation don't seem to be up to the old standard. But there's a bunch of generations between them and the Stan Lee generation.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:48 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Some analysts speculated that the government’s planned appeal could stymie Philadelphia-based Comcast, which has been weighing whether to sweeten its offer for Rupert Murdoch’s Fox assets. Fox accepted Disney’s $71.3-billion offer in late June, and has scheduled a July 27 shareholder vote, which gives Comcast less than two weeks to muster a higher offer.

Murdoch has long believed that a deal with Comcast would face a stiffer regulatory review than a sale to Disney. The Justice Department also has said it would approve a Disney-Fox deal as long as Disney sells Fox’s 22 regional sports networks.

But the government still seems determined to try to overturn the AT&T/Time Warner merger, suggesting that it may also go after Comcast-Fox, which also is considered a vertical merger.
AT&T chief Randall Stephenson questions government's challenge of takeover: 'We own Time Warner'
Old 07-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:35 PM
Total Fan

No problem. Here's some more.
Quote:
On Wednesday, Fox upped its bid to purchase 61% of Sky to $32.5 billion, topping Comcast’s $31 billion bid. Instead of submitting a new bid for all Fox assets, a source tells CNBC, Comcast is instead focusing on increasing its bid for Sky. Fox owns that other 39% and aims to purchase the remainder of the European pay-TV giant.
Quote:
As explained by CNBC:

“Before that happens, Fox actually may need to increase its latest bid again. That's because a U.K. takeover panel is deciding if Sky is worth more than 14 pounds per share, due to the so-called "chain principle," which links the value of Sky's independently traded shares to the 39 percent that Fox already owns (and Disney is bidding for as part of its $71.3 billion offer). Assuming Fox agrees to pay a higher mandated price for Sky, Comcast would then increase its bid over that price, the person said.”
Comcast Might Let Disney Win Fox Deal For Just One Thing
Old 07-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Say Something Nice

Thanks for all the info, dragonfire! OMG, I hope they resolve this soon. I just want Marvel to get all their stuff back. Comcast can have Sky for all I care.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:16 AM
Total Fan

No problem.
Quote:
Walt Disney Co.’s $71 billion deal with 21st Century Fox Inc. won the endorsement of influential proxy advisers Institutional Shareholder Services Inc. and Glass Lewis & Co., giving the entertainment giant another edge over rival suitor Comcast Corp.

Both firms recommended that Fox shareholders vote in favor of the transaction during a July 27 investor meeting, with Glass Lewis arguing that Disney offered “a unique, prospectively far-reaching opportunity” to capitalize on the acquisition.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...om-glass-lewis
Old 07-15-2018, 05:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
X-Men

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:55 PM
Say Something Nice

Thanks, dragonfire! So does this mean it's close to being a done deal and Disney will get Fox and all of Marvel's titles back? Well, except The Hulk.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:18 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Thanks, dragonfire! So does this mean it's close to being a done deal and Disney will get Fox and all of Marvel's titles back? Well, except The Hulk.
No problem. Well, next Friday is when the shareholders are expected to vote on the Disney&Fox deal. Now for Comcast, since it seems they're focusing more on Sky than Fox, and with the DOJ appealing the AT&T/WB deal, which may have thrown Comcast's argument that they would get approval from the DOJ out the window, I don't see them coming back for another bid for Fox. As for when the Disney&Fox deal will be a done deal? If everything goes well, people are thinking this Christmas.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread